IDEA 410 Capstone Project

Shuangqian Wang

Bibliography

Animation: Only Yesterday, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Your Name, etc.

Others’ graduation projects: My Wonderland – Hiro (https://youtu.be/KMjFkDIRf0g ), etc.

YouTube: Instructional videos about Blender.

1. My wonderland -Hiro

A Japanese artist made this short animation. The screens are accompanied by background music to tell the story. The author refers to the setting of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and tells the story of a male high school student in ordinary life who finds himself who loved to read fairy tale books in his childhood through the dreamland in the book, and his later life gradually becomes colorful.

This short animation mainly focuses on the background music and pictures. The integration of the two can make the audience more immersed when watching. What inspires me about this work is the author’s use of color. The story’s beginning is black and white; after entering the dream, it is color, and after returning to reality, it slowly changes from black and white to color. Although there is no character dialogue in the story, the audience can see the change in the protagonist’s inner world from the color change. I think I can refer to this in my work, and I can reflect the protagonist’s inner world by changing the background sound.

2. Howl’s Moving Castle – Hayao Miyazaki

Howl’s Moving Castle is an anime directed by Hayao Miyazaki. The story is based on a 1986 book by British fantasy writer Diana Wynne Jones. The story tells the story of a hat-making girl Sophie whom a witch cursed to become an older woman. Afterward, Sophie entered Howl’s Moving Castle. After a series of events, she gained love and courage and finally broke the curse.

The story is presented in a fairy tale-like style but contains deep meanings. I observed and learned its coloring techniques (the characters are simple but not monotonous), the expressions of the characters and the presentation of their actions (frame-by-frame analysis). And try to incorporate my own habits and drawing style to make some adjustments and changes.

3. Eyes that watch the world – Lya Chen

https://b23.tv/bOiJ23i

This is an original storyboard animation. The author tells the story of a slow-growing painter who can see each other’s memory when he paints. His long life made him silent after witnessing the deaths of many close to him. Later, the painter met a girl who had the dream of becoming a writer but was not very confident. In the end, the two healed each other spiritually and were no longer alone.

Although this short animation does not have exquisite pictures, it is mainly based on black and white drafts, but the plot touches the deep emotions of the audience. It is a gentle and romantic story. Think about the inner meaning and importance of the plot of the story. Another thing I can learn from this work is how to draw a better storyboard. But because of the story’s subject, I may not add character dialogue to my story.

One response to “Bibliography”